View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Leonard1

My new underbed fuel tank

I've been looking around and planning an underbed fuel tank for a while now. I am going to use the John Fabris stake pocket fuel filler (Thanks to John for the excellent idea and write-up) I originally was going to use the Blazer tank, but I hated the idea of cutting the support under the bed to make it fit. So, I bought a Spectra GM15C 25 gallon fuel tank for an '87 Burb. I was going to use the more common 31 gallon, but I was concerned about how far it would hang down below the frame. You can also see the cardboard template I made of the supports under the bed. The blue line represents the direction of the fuel hose, black lines are the underbed supports.

The first problem I encountered was obviously that the neck was going to be pointed in the wrong direction, but another, less obvious problem is that the neck is the wrong size. So I used a piece of 1-1/4" galvanized pipe and soldered it into the correct location, 1-1/2" hose will just slide over the end.

In this pic, you can see what it will look like under the bed. The tank will hang down about 9" below the frame. I hope it's not too much.

Here are two shots of what has to be removed from the rear support to get the fuel line through

I am going to be installing a 5.3L/4L60E, and am planning on using an ACDelco EP381 pump. It will hook directly onto the sending unit.
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote