View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: My 1979 GMC 7000 453T DD at work

Yeah, I would rent 20 Ft 2-Ton Box Trucks now and then back in the '70's for moving furniture, equip, etc and I would show them my Chaffuer's License. That's what they were called back then before the CDL's came out and they would tell me that they weren't necessary. Most had a straight 5-Speed, but one day I got an International 1600 or 1700 that had a 5 and 2.

Never mind the Manual Trans, I could just picture some week-ender who never sat behind anything bigger than a station wagon, trying to figure out what to do with the 2-Speed.

Speaking about overhangs and tail swing, we used to haul Roof Trusses upside down on our flatbeds. By upside-down, I mean that we would load them with the peak of the roof downward. We would rest one side on the headboard and the other end would be out in mid air with chains wrapped around them. Our normal trusses were about 24 or 28 Ft Long, but one day I had to deliver a special order. These were 38 Ft long. I would have to do some math, but the eave part of the trusses were probably about 13 or 14 Ft high and it was probably overhanging the end of the 20 Ft Flatbed about another 10 or 12 Ft.

Our trucks also dumped and in most cases we had to dump the trusses. The idea would be to get it on the ground still sitting on one edge of the upside-down roof side. Good 'ol fun days.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote