View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #173
ls1nova71

Re: 67-72 Electric speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Working on a redesigned box and have a few Questions.

1. First the box dilemma. I designed this with flanges that tuck inside to be spot welded so it would be easier than welding seams with a mig. Works okay but the jaws on our spot welder head butt the opposite edge in a couple places, arrgh. Not terrible but forming this was a bear! Might be a better idea to use small sheet metal screws? or rivets? or just remove the tucked in flanges and seam weld? Opinions?? when I have the flanges tuck in there is a small gap in the corners, do you think this needs to be water tight or just a dust cover?

2. The flippin crappin lights I angled both upper corners at 45* one side to stay inside the edge of the tin the other to clear the light (instead of rounding the corner like the template) but my box and the one I made from the paper template interfere with the odo reset (barely) so I have to make it just a bit wider. So why not enclose the inboard light under the box too? (pic 4)

3. along with Q 2, if I enclose the light will It cause interference with the Tach? I don't have a tach, and does a factory tach even work with an LS?

I keep trying to make these lightbulbs work but seriously think I will have to go with small LED lights to get something I am really happy with because they are just in the way soooo much.

My flanges are too wide and screw holes are too big so nevermind the slight overhang. Will try some more improvements tomorrow.
1. The box isn't water tight, it's just a dust cover, and to keep the electric parts safe. If you screw it together, you'd just have to make sure they don't interfere with anything, but I think it would work. Just be sure the circuit board fits under it, don't want to get it made to look nice then find out the speedo won't fit!

2. You could enclose the turn signal indicator light if you want to, it's no different than enclosing the two dash lights, but I think the box would have to be bigger across the top.

3. THe factory tach will work with the engine, but you need to set the tach resolution from 6 to 3 in the tune, this will double the output since LS engines use a 4 cylinder output from the factory. As for the tach actually fitting, it's close! But it will fit, although if you enclose the turnsignal light, I would get a tach and make sure it doesn't hang over where the tach needs to be. Here are the pics of my first one that I put a tach in for reference.
Attached Images

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote