View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #167
cortcomp

Re: '66 Longbed 327 w/AC project

Been making progress but haven't posted many updates. Suspension and brakes done all around and truck back down on it's wheels. Rear brake lines and new rear cover and gasket installed. Front end put back together aligned and centered as best i can in my garage. Used some advanced auto parts heavy duty engine degreaser (Very little used actually, was barely spraying it so i wouldn't get it inside the holes to the cab). After that, razor blade took most of the black paint/grime off, and then coarse steel wool. Then denatured alcohol and paper towels got most off. The worse was the channel above the firewall up top. After all that, the DA turned on high with 320 grit pads. I have to get some areas done by hand that the DA can't get to. Anything under the inner fender wells i don't care about, because it will be undercoated (which i've done most of the inside of the outer fenders with, and the inside of the front clip, except above the inner fenders; i used flat black there.)

Goal is to properly mask and paper the cab, sand it and clean it, and sealer primer it. Then, seam sealer where needed and scuff it so it can be painted. Then paint likely just the firewall to a logical seam, so i can put the inner fenders back in, core support with new AC stuff, battery tray, radiator, etc. Then i should be ready for the motor, which is a few weeks out at the machine shop. Then i can do the tranny, get the shifter fab all done, and start with the new wiring harnesses etc. Then we'll likely finish panting the cab, doors, fenders, etc and save the bed for last.

After all that...i think we'll be done? Is there such a thing as done?
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote