View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
66C06

Re: Pre-LS swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Well i would go the cheaper route and get a 4.8 if the accessories would clear they can be modded to work with a car intake. I actually got rid od ps pump and re routed the belt with no ideler and it would clear a car tb fine. But if you plan on all the extras and or need clearance altough i hesitate i think your best option is a car motor. Buy the time you pay for the new water pump and the accessorie brackets and the oil pan and intake you probably will have spent more than buying a car pullout. Also temp gauge can be done with adaptors ,drill and tap pump while you have it off, buy inline top hose barb with sender hole ,well thats 3 options. Lol for the oil press i pull the oem sender out of the back ds block break the black plastic piece off and drill and tap the aluminum plug to 1/8 pipe. You wont need that sender when you convert and retune
Posted via Mobile Device
the dimensions of the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 truck motors are the same. The truck front accessories are the same as well. the only difference is the thermostat housing on the newer model motors...an ls1 motor from a camaro or trans am WITH front accessories, intake to oil pan, doesn't sell for less than about 2500 and that's a running pull out. You can get the front accessories from a camaro or T/A for around 750 bucks. The most difficult to find is the power steering pump because GM doesn't manufacture them anymore. Here's a break down of cost on my GF's 92 camaro RS ls1 swap.

LS1 Corvette motor (long block no accessories, intake or oil pan) $850
LS1 Intake with fuel rails, injectors and throttle body $175
LS1 Alt, bracket, bolts (used) $60
LS1 A/C compressor and bracket w/ bolts (used) $30
LS1 Water pump (re-manufactured, lifetime warranty) $90
LS1 crank pulley (ASP Harmonic balancer) $200
ARP crank bolt $30
Valve covers $Free.99
LS1 PS pump $70
LS1 PS Bracket $75
LS1 PS Reservoir $30
LS1 Oil pan, pickup tube and windage tray $80
LS1 tensioners (2ea) $20

Total is about $1710 Now if you use a 5.3 and a factory camaro crank pulley, you can subtract about $350 from the motor and $150 from the ASP pulley.That leaves you at around $1210...
07 Hayabusa - absolute chaos
66C06 is offline   Reply With Quote