View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
jon75

Re: 1975 GMC K25 Sierra Grande

Yesterday I sold a futon on Craigslist and offered to deliver it to the buyer's house for gas money. The 12 mile trip went great except my arms were so tired from working the steering wheel back and forth from the free play that I was exhausted! I talked to the wife about it, and she agreed...time to fix that next.

So off I went today to the local O'Reilly's (I have a business account there) and ordered up a steering gearbox. Cost to me was $128 +tax. I went home and starting pulling the lines and the box. After seeing the fluid come out and hearing my pump having a little bit of noise, I think my next purchase will be the power steering pump. My steering fluid looked like dirty royal purple oil with grease mixed in. It was pretty bad. Here is the box coming out...

And I would have taken a photo of the new box but it was shiny and black, so use your imagination. I did find this interesting though, some blue paint on the pitman arm as I was sandblasting it...

After adding fluid back in and bleeding the system, I took the truck for a ride. What a feeling!! The steering feels almost as tight as my G37! Now all I have to do is center the steering wheel and I'll be done with that. I will leave you with this sweet looking Jimmy (driver) that I would love to have one of someday.

ASE certified for brakes, electrical diagnostics and heating and A/C & EPA certified in R12 and R134a
jon75 is offline   Reply With Quote