View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #255
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Time to weaponize John Lee Jr...well, at least get some weapon storage installed. Been lookin at gun racks....$80 and up and mostly exposed, large, clunky. Neatest one was a center floor mount that held two rifles straight up and down Cruiser Style...but again, too open and inviting...grab hold, jerk and gone.....even with it bolted down and the weapons locked. A bit of undercover is required and I only need to stow one long gun and one handgun. I came up with a plan on the cheep. Total investment was under $25 and it provides adaquate security and cover.

Some of the 1" wide strap steel I have layin around the shop...pays to be a minor horder....cheeper projects later on in life. But, bend em around a large diameter manifold stud puller to get an initial shape.

After trimming them to the correct length, over to the Rockchucker reloading press to put a nice flare on the throat of the hooks.....

Banged, ground, cut and bent em around till they were both the exact same size and shape and drilled mounting and security holes in both in the same places...allows me to reverse the rifle in the truck and still apply the cable lock for security no matter which way the rifle is pointed.

I found the center of the truck cab back wall and established pencil lines to place the hooks 17" on centers. This will fit every long gun I have with ease. Centerpunched and drilled an initial hole, 1/8" for a pop rivet to hold the hooks in place while I align them and drill for 2 more mounting screws on each hook.

Here the Driverside hook, painted black and initially positioned with the aforementioned pop rivet.

Doublechecking the fit with the seat back...just over an inch of clearance, plenty good and low enough it won't be seen. Out of sight, out of mind as they say.

A couple more sheet metal screws on the DS hook and pop riveting in the PS hook for drilling and bolting.

Last time I bought 3/4" dia heater hose, I ordered 4 feet. Counter Gal gave me 7+ feet for the 4 foot price...I think she likes the truck. Anyway, cut off a couple sections from the spare length of new heater hose...squoosh the inside of the hose with a spotz of WD40 and TwistoShove, protective padding for the rifle slides on. Nifty, the inside face flattens out to cradle my long guns and keep em from gettin too aweful marked up.

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-07-2013 at 07:28 PM.