View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #77
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short/Fleen Full Stock Resto Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I agree 1000%. If you compare a Chevy/GMC cab to a comparable year Ford, there's no comparison. Ford likes to single-wall in places that GM will double wall. The GM cabs are WAY stronger structurally. The make-up of the Ford cab is such that it was like it was built backwards. The overlays are completely backwards, like you unfortunately discovered. You wind up damaging good metal on top in order to fix the bad metal underneath because the wrong part is flanged and spot-welded in an area that's completely inaccessable.

I know most guys are brand loyal, done to the bone. I have had the "discussion" with the Ford guys about the comparison of the '60s Ford and Chevy trucks, and have laid out all the differences. EVERY aspect of the Chevy is better, from the suspension, the engine, the transmission, and the body structure. I will give Ford credit in one area, though. Whoever designed their door latches did a great job. You can go to any clapped out Ford in the wrecking yard, and the doors close and latch soooo nice.

Other than that, their trucks are not even close.
I whined about it on the Ford truck forum, they just said that atleast you couldn't build a Ford with a credit card like you can with a Chevy... Isn't it a bad thing that reproductions aren't available for Fords? Some people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainred65 View Post
All I know about Vdubs (which isn't a lot but I really think they're cool) I learned from my brother. He's got 3 beetles and a bus. The only one I know the exact year is his oldest beetle, a 56. The bus is a 60 something. Knowing how much you love them here is a pic of his bus he sent me on the Iphone. Sorry bout the crummy cell phone pic. All original paint, he's always showing me places where they rot out and his is as near perfect as it gets. When he found it I thought he was gonna wet himself!
That is a very nice bus, especially being all original!! I'm still kicking myself for selling my '67 13 window deluxe right before the prices went sky high.

A little more deconstruction this morning. Got a couple spots left to cut out on the back of the cab and we'll be ready for blasting and epoxy.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote