View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Cleaning Really Bad Aluminum Wheels

I know there's a thread on cleaning. I just read it. But,that's minor compared to mine and my request would not be seen by all those who already saw how that thread went.
I got these 9.75 x 16.5 aluminum slots (no clear) that were about black when I got them. I cleaned the front of the two better ones pretty good,but the backs and slot holes were still but fugly. So,I decided it was necessary to start from scratch. Maybe I effed up,but I used over cleaner on the backs. They're all white and crusty now and it streaked the fronts that I had cleaned up (I knew I'd have to go back on them). The backs are too difficult to sand. I'm thinking bead-blasting is my only choice now. Agree? Just the backs? The fronts have dark streaks that would sand out,right?,but just need to start more coarse like maybe 220. I was using 400 and nit getting very far with it. Even the black ones (I assume left on the front a long time) I think will sand out. I have to do the backs and slots before worrying about the fronts,I know that. Any advise would be appreciated. I'll grab pictures,but in the meantime I wanted to get some wheels turning (no pun...well,maybe a little)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote