View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #188
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

I've had to share my time the last two weeks with Rachel and Ryan, the twins that used to live next to us in Houston. They come up for a visit every summer and the build takes a back seat out of necessity when they are here. Ryan and I did put in some shop time cleaning up and painting a few subassemblies, but at 9 years old, he was more into building a model car than a real one. Maybe next year he'll want to spend more time in the workshop. We did manage to finish a '69 GTO Judge model on which he learned how to handle an airbrush. We met their parents in McAlester, OK on Saturday for the hand-off, so the house is pretty quiet.

I had built up a list of things to do, so I headed out early this morning. First on the list was picking up my wheels from Chip. Did not realize they were clear coated, so polishing them was a bust. After loading them up, I hauled them to the blaster to have them stripped and glass beaded. I may chuck them up in a lathe and sand the rims, leaving the blast finish on the centers. Then have them clear powder coated again. We'll see how they look when I get them back from Eagle. They had finished my chassis parts in Satin Black. Looked nice from what I saw. All remaining parts should be done by next week.

Also stopped by the machine shop to check on my engine. Bobby said he would probably have everything ready by the end of this week, but no later than next week for sure. He looked busy! After leaving his place I stopped at LMC on the way to Eagle and picked up a rebuilt quick ratio power steering gear and the stainless trim for the drip rail.

Back home, I ordered 3" drop rear coils from CPP via eBay. They're having a special right now with free shipping. Also ordered an aluminum, rear mount, side fill fuel tank from Boyd's Welding. This will force me to hit the salvage yards for a fuel door setup. Also need to research a floor mount e-brake handle as I plan to do away with the dash mount hand brake. I've always liked poking around a salvage yard, but there's no place hotter in the summer or colder in the winter.

With the kids gone, I'll be playing catch up for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to starting a punch list. Went to my favorite cruise in last night and it sooooo sucks not having a ride.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote