View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
ssapach

Re: First time arc welding- what do you think?

If memory serves me correctly, 6011 is the cellulose electrode meant for AC welding. Provides basically the same weld as a 6010 run on DC+.

I'll say it's not so bad for a beginner, I don't doubt that my first welds were much worse off than that! The bead second from the bottom is looking the most consistent and closer to a decent travel speed and amperage setting.

6010/6011 rods don't necessarily need to be "whipped" while you are welding, you can simply drag them across the metal. It really all depends what you are trying to achieve. But whipping it will give you more metal deposit, deeper penetration and overall a heavier weld with a more desirable profile.

I would also agree to try and hit up one of the trade schools for evening or weekend classes. I went to Lakeland College in Vermilion for my welding ticket, and I know that they used to do evening classes for anyone wanting to learn. When you go for a welding ticket in Alberta, there is no doubt that the emphasis is still on stick welding (aka SMAW) and I actually find that I can weld better with the stick welder than with the mig.

If you want to try thin material with the stick welder, 6013 rods will be your friend. They easy to weld with, burn cooler and will weld on dirty metal. Sometimes referred to as "the farmer rod". But if you want something good and strong or to weld larger/heavier pieces, then 7018 will be your friend.

This is how 6010 looks when it's been "whipped". We used to refer to it in school as the manipulative technique.

ssapach is offline   Reply With Quote