View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
aussiejohn

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post

(That's not a 944 in the movie. I think its a 924 or 928 but I'm def not a Porsche guru.)
sparky and Frizzle,

I have admired your work since I first stumbled across it. I spent (not wasted) several days looking at the Minx re-pop. Fabulous work. Now, as for that movie clip, that car looks awfully like a 928, the car that Porsche designed purely for the US market. They knew that Yanks liked a V8 in front, driving the rear wheels, so the 928 was the result.

From his book, "Corvette from the Inside" Dave McLellan says, "With its water-cooled, front mounted V-8 engine, rear transaxle, and two-plus-two seating, it represented Porsche's direction for the future. Unfortunately, it had none of the nimble, sharp, and aggressive feel of the 911, which had propelled Porsche to a position of eminence in the sports car market."

Dave drew on many of the 928's features when he designed the C4, including the torque tube that linked the trans to the diff.

A friend on mine in Australia has a right hand drive 928 with the factory three speed auto transaxle and is toying with the idea of replacing the engine when it dies with an LSx but is unsure whether to go with an easily obtainable engine mounted transmission (from a Holden Commodore V8 passenger car) with a Holden IRS diff, or try to find a transaxle that will handle the power.

An engine mounted trans will involve widening the tunnel, which will probably mean that different seats will be needed, etc. And then where does it stop?

As a coincidence, one of his sons has two 944s, both autos, and is in the process of restoring the better car with parts from the other. Once I show Roy this site, I think he'll be a regular observer, for both his and his son's cars.

Keep up the good, no, EXCELLENT work!

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
aussiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote