View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #69
webfishr

Re: 72 K5 CST Blazer Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGraySay View Post
That is one impressive build. VERY well done!!!
I'm a proud new K5 owner! I'm also very tall at 6'6" and am scouring options for replacement seats. How do you feel about the one's you've installed. Any advice?
Thanks and congratulations on your new K5! I love these seats. Plenty of room and I don't think you'd have any problem even at 6'6". I'm 6'2" and a big guy. A couple of thoughts for you as you decide:
-These seats are nice because you have the shoulder belt built into the seat. Difficult to built in a shoulder harness if you want one on the blazer without the top on.
- You will of course have to weld custom brackets but that's just part of the fun and wasn't a hard engineering job. Great metal to weld onto with the construction of these seats.
- I did need to mount the passenger seat a little further forward than the driver seat however. When we made the brackets I didn't deal with the complexity of keeping the seat folding forward as the stock seats do. If I slide the seat completely forward you can get in and out OK but it's a tight fit unless you're kid size especially if the top is on. Without the top it's not too bad other than for me to climb to the back seat I need to undo the soft top bracket above the door to get in easy enough. I think it would be difficult and a tight fit even if I was able to have the seat fold forward somehow. The seats are just too tall to go far enough forward and the tracks for the power adjustment are large but I haven't tried either. The way I have it is workable for what I use the blazer for. It's mostly the kids in the back anyway.
- I still haven't wired up and gotten the heat pads working. They were tied into a computer before to measure temperature with dynamic settings and I'm not sure if I want to go through the headache of hooking all that up or just take the seats apart and put in a new heating pad or something else. I do think the heated seats would be a nice touch especially for the back seat. It gets colder in Montana when the sun goes down even in the summer so those late drives home or early morning runs would be a little more comfortable. Of course that's sort of being a bit plush but what the heck.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Let me know if you want any measurements or better pictures and I'd be happy to get them for you.
webfishr is offline   Reply With Quote