View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #69
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Back on the Halfbreed build I had bought a cheapo used engine hoist to help me with loading my broke 4L60E. The first motor I used it on was the 944's and I found the design of the spreader bar lacking in just about every way. So today I did an overhaul on it. Now it has trick chain assemblies on each end that can quickly be dropped into chain hooks during the initial rigging. There are also eyes on each end should I want/need to use tie straps or rope. And most important it has a swivel eye so I don't have to fight how the hoist hook is clocked - now I can focus on pulling motors and not on lame product designs.

I should mention that I'm using our big MIG at work for the welds on structural stuff like the motor hoist and the receiver hitch on my truck. Here is a pic of the MIG, the 5'x5' welding table and a cart I fabbed. It definitely puts the heat into the thicker metal!

And I also began welding up some conduit for the 16'x12' awning I will be hanging over the 944. Mostly need this for shade but also for the short but intense rainy season.
Attached Images

Last edited by sparkydog; 08-18-2013 at 10:11 PM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote