View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #21
mr48chev

Re: DIY Disc Brake Conversion

Sure is nice when a guy posts high resolution photos that you can save and then expand to see what is going on.

I'd say that you are correct and someone has at one time replaced the drum and used two screws to hold the drum in place which wasn't the least bit necessary. They were riveted on the first time so they wouldn't fall off during transportation of the axle assembly.

If you have an impact screwdriver see if you can back them out. If not drill them out so you can pop the heads off and get the drum, off. It looks like you are going to want to knock the studs out and take the tin shield off the back too while you are at it.

Thinking about it the rear drums on my 71 3/4 ton GMC are held on by countersunk screws from the factory. That one is getting a disk brake conversion with brackets purchased on ebay and Chev 3/4 ton 4x4 front rotors with late 70's Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers with the park brake setup on them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote