View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #168
Arekusu

Re: Old School Hot Rod Truck (1964)

I tore down the old vent windows . I drilled out the swivel rivet with an 1/8" drill bit and it came out. Like everyone says, note the position of the flat washer with the flat edge on it (bottom of the vent in the "U" shaped bracket), it locks out your vent window from over extending.

I took them down to bare metal, self etch primed them, and shot them in GM black with gloss clear. The new channel has a bit of a chrome edge so I painted over that edge.

I didn't see the point of new glass in the vent windows.. I went with new front and back glass but the sides weren't all that bad. I wanted to polish the glass though.. The local glass guy didn't have polish but recommended I use what is used to clean glass stove ranges or jewelers rouge.. soo I use "bar keepers friend" on my pots pans and glass stove top with good results so that's what I did.. The pic doesn't show it that well. I washed the glass first with dish soap and then made a watery paste and used a paper towel and hand polished the glass on both sides, finishing with more dish soap to remove the "BKF" residue. It worked a little. If I had one of those headlight polishing foam things for a drill, one of those on low speed might have produced better results.
Attached Images

Arekusu is offline   Reply With Quote