View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
bobbylong

3/4 ton vs. 1/2 ton...

Newbie questions:

I have always wanted a 67-72 Chevy 4x4 SWB truck sense I was in high school and working at a log mill in Idaho. One of the full time guys there had one and I thought it was the coolest thing ever (next to a 68 Camaro). I was born in 71 so I have decided that would be the year I shoot for. Before I ask my questions let me say I am not a mechanic. In fact I know very little about cars or trucks. I grew up in a small redneck town and I can drive like a bat outa hell, but when I breakdown I’m done.

1. What is the real difference between a ¾ ton and a ½ ton (besides ¼ ton)? I’m guessing it’s the suspension and breaks, but is the frame any different?
2. Will the cab off any 67-72 bolt right on a 71 ¾ ton frame?
3. What makes a better daily driver for a guy who never really plans on towing anything, but maybe 68 Camaro on a trailer someday?

The reason I’m asking is I found a 71 ¾ ton Camper Special for a great price. It’s in bad shape but the frame is good and it’s 100% complete. However, the cab is rusted beyond the point of repair. I don’t know if it’s the right truck for me because I’m looking to build a daily driver, and not a work or truck to tow toys.

Thanks for any help you can give.

1971 K10 SWB Stepside
1968 Chevy Camaro
1931 Ford Model A (truck)
1997 Land Rover Defender 90
1994 Harly Davidson MT350
bobbylong is offline   Reply With Quote