View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
ncoonen

Re: Front end alignment questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67carry-all View Post
New tires are now on and rides like a new truck - tracks straight, takes the hwy bumps as if they're not even there, and no wobble. As a bonus, the manual streering now feels like power steering in comparison.

Hope this info helps others - I know I'll be paying closer attention to tire date codes in addition to tread depth and will change out tires that are approaching the 10 year mark (if they make it that far). Thanks again to all who chimed in with ideas.
I have no tech to add but want to reinforce the moral to this story - old tires suck. I have had the "old tire conversation" several times with guys who are vaguely unhappy with their old cars/trucks but don't want to replace old tires that aren't worn out. Once you put properly balanced fresh tires on *any* vehicle with old tires, you'll notice the difference. A couple years ago I drove a new-to-me 1961 Corvair Lakewood from Oakland, CA to Chicago. We stopped in Winnemucca, NV after the first leg. The following morning, my buddy and I stopped at Les Schwab Tire and get a new set of King Star (chinese) 13" radials to replace some really sketchy old tires. The car rode like new - smooth, quiet, no vibrations!

Retire your old tires!...ned.