View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
cjohnson6772

Re: to anyone running a truck ac bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Apologies for the delay. I was able to get everything working through the PCM without having a retune and with minimal modification. Essentially the problem was my compressor and tune were for a truck and my harness was for a car. The car is a more complicated system by nature. I can say with no hesitation, there is no need for a trinary switch in this setup. A binary switch will work fine.

I've attached the part of the manual I got with my harness (I really should have bought a stock one and modified it after all was said and done). Pages 62-67 show the connector pinouts as wired. The first pic is of the provided HVAC schematic. Essentially an Fbody set up. I confirmed by crawling under the truck that the connector for the HVAC pressure sensor is in fact 3 pin (consistent with Fbody). I originally had spliced the wire from the clutch relay to the compressor and installed the Hi/Lo compressor side of the trinary switch in line. I spliced into the wire from C2-33 to pin 85 on the secondary fan relay and installed the Hi fan side of the trinary switch back to ground.

After some research (and help on this thread) I to removed all the splices I had installed with the trinary. Added the Hi/Lo compressor side of the switch from ground to C2-55 and left C2-11 empty. C2-11 originally controlled the recirc command. I think when C2-11 was grounded it would have originally activated C2-33 which used to be the recirc door control, but is now my secondary electric fan. I only used the one side of the trinary switch as shown in the diagrams. This is why you can get by with a binary switch.

Now, if I had it to do over again and my system was evacuated: install a binary switch in the low side of the system where I show my trinary switch is installed. Then wire another binary in line with the compressor clutch on the high side of the system. The only reason this would be better than the way I am currently wired is that it would allow the compressor to cut on and off based on low pressure as well and would not freeze over the evaporator core if the system is too large for the truck.

This post is a mess, but is cut and paste from some of my notes earlier in the process. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions. I have a pretty good handle on this now.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf LS1 harness installation instructions.pdf (199.2 KB, 98 views)
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote