View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
mr48chev

Re: Buying a crate motor

It depends on the dealer as the link I posted in post 3 shows price wise.

There are the low buck "Target motors that sell new for around 1300 for fleet use and there are the performance factory crate motors that sell for quite a bit more. In the 80's and 90's a lot of buys bought the Target motors and stuck a cam and intake on them and had a new engine that ran pretty good for a real decent price.

I'd be inclined to take one of my 350 cores out of the corner of my garage and haul it to the machine shop and have it bored and have a pair of heads done and then bring it home and assemble it myself as I have done in the past with an engine kit that I ordered online. The end cost would be a bit lower than Ogre stated above but the machine shops I go to treat me pretty good price wise. If I had either assemble the long block with them supplying the parts I don't think 850 would cover it.

Some of us forget too that while it is normal for us to buy the pieces and rebuild an engine from a bare block out for others it is a scary thought to think about doing it and a crate motor is a better option.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote