View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by haminator View Post
Wow, this thread is great. I think I know the answer but will a 14 bolt pinion support mate to the Eaton? If so then would a 14 bolt ring and pinion work in a Eaton? That huge Eaton pinion bearing most likely screws up that whole idea but i thought I'd ask. I want to keep my Eatons in all my trucks but 4:10s are really just too low for highway use these days. I've got 4:56"s and 5:14's too. Also the adjuster on the side, is that for pinion side load? My 63 unit doesn't have that.
The adjuster on the side is to prevent ring gear deflection. It is a common component on Heavy Line trucks like 18 wheelers, and such.

Interesting that you should ask that about the 14 bolt R&P. As for the 14B pinion support, no, it will not fit. The pinion support has a larger diameter than the eaton pinion bearing set. the 14 bolt pinion is longer, and the pinion pilot is different. One KEY measurement that I don't have yet is pinion height for the Eaton. the 14 bolt is -1.50". I have several axles torn apart at home. I will take pictures of the differences when I get home.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote