View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #167
boucher racing

Re: Inline 250 - T3 Turbo - w/ Video

After a successful "Gas Monkey" project, aka Cropwell. I have turned more attention to JED.

I really liked the look of the Offenhauser carb hat, but in function, it lacked. The hat was designed for a 4.5" carb opening. I had to run a plastic adapter for it work on the Holley 5 1/8" spread. Plus, the air flow from the turbo was choppy at best. So, I went for a Extreme Velocity hat. These are supposed to be the best. The construction was awesome and from its looks, the flow couldn't be designed any better. Here it is on, but not painted the cast iron yet. For it's performance... whoa, read below.

Also, I was dealing with a real lag in building boost. I had modified the internal wastegate to open around 4-5psi. What happened it started to open at 2 psi and fully open at 5psi. So boost took forever to build and was a dog. So I ordered a Voodoo V, manual boost controller with a lightweight ceramic ball. I installed it and tuned it for a 10psi boost setting. Good GOD, what a difference!

Boost comes in much sooner and pegs right at 10psi and holds there. It actually raises the front end of the truck when the boost hits. While this was totally awesome, my AFR's are right at 12.2 when WOT at 10psi, a little high for my comfort level. I think a jet bump up will fix that. Believe me, the difference between 4 and 10 psi is Night and Day. Still shaking my head. I have this sneaky suspicion, that this setup is right at the point of breaking other stuff... trans, rear end...

For winter, either a built up TH350 or 700R auto tranny with a 2500-2800 rpm stall converter.

I cannot wait to launch a turbo'd inliner at 10psi with a dialed in auto trans!!

psi-psi-psi's

Boucher'
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587639
boucher racing is offline   Reply With Quote