View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #173
Snailed

Re: Inline 250 - T3 Turbo - w/ Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher racing View Post
Thanks for the info. I have never measured my IAT's, and I am assuming that you are referring to intake temps? How do you do that? I have read many articles pro/against the idea that gas, blow-thru setups actually cool the intake charged air. I do know that an intercooler would help my setup. It's just time and $$$$ ,but isn't everything with old cars!
Yeah, Intake Air Temps. You could just use a multimeter with a temp probe as long it reacted fast enough (maybe rig a GM open element sensor and convert the values if it's an issue?).

I'm really not sure how much cooling you get from vaporizing the fuel only and not using an intercooler. Yes fuel cools some when it's burned. search "latent heat of vaporization" that's why you run a rich mixture. I'm sure non-intercooled blowthrough carbs are limited but it obviously works fine in many cases. At least you have researched it, I know I haven't.

Maybe a better direction is to cut to the chase and make yourself a pair of cheap knock ears (headphones, hearing aid amp, pizo mic on the block). With that setup I can easily hear knock as early as any modern OEM active knock system I have been able to monitor. Search "knock ears" it's an amazing tuning tool for not much money. You can buy a tool called the Steelman Chassis Ear too but it's no fun spending all that money. A friend gave me one though and it does work well for knock...

Your project is exciting man, keep it up!