View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
hugger6933

Re: Cam knowlege plz.

Ok, first I know it is hard when getting and starting a new project but try and calm down a take a breath. Now you said pre 86 yes the 400 were only made till the late 70's so yes it is way pre 86. now keeping in mind that the 400 is a smog era motor and most of them were considered boat anchors [wait guy put away the torches and pitch forks] before the mid 80's when guys decided they could be made to do some wild stuff. Now the heads are gonna be the smaller valve thinner wall castings that don't have tons of hope if your wanting to make some crazy power. the intake is wrong as well you can do better with a newer designed Edelbrock dual plane RPM Air Gap, with a carb closer to the 750 or at least the 650 than the 625. Keep in mind that the motor is 56 cubic inches larger than the 350 that most people use to figure when they talk about intakes and cams and such. So a cam that may be just right for a 350 is gonna be a little on the smaller side for a 406. Another thing to keep in mind here is NOT to go to big on the cam because the camshaft will bleed off compression if too large and you will be wasting effort to make compression by different pistons and better heads and maybe even a turbo to have it bled off by over camming it. I had a motor in my street car chevelle. It ran like 8.20 in the 1/8 mile at a weight of 3860 with me in it and it sounded like a pro mod if you were listening and not looking. I put in a SMALLER cam and went back and ran a 7.76. The heavy car had a power glide and would still pull the wheels and go 1.40 short time[60ft]. So with that said I would have you look into a dual pattern cam of course like that of comps Extreme energy, I have had great luck with those. Also their dual energy cams they make a 275 that ran like Ape poop in another thing I had and still made real good vac for brakes[S-10]. Think on these things for a while also try to keep your stall lower than your cruise rpm or your trans will overheat kinda quickly and any time you put in a stall you need a cooler. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote