View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #291
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: 1970 GMC Suburban... for the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Jeremy,

I see your using the Tahoe/Blazer for a storage shelf. You still driving it? I have to put a rear end in my daughters 92. It will be receiving the one that came out of my 93 Suburban reusing her axles and bearings with some new seals. She blew up the gov-lock and destroyed the cover, carrier, and most of the gears. I am modifying the 93 Suburban 10 bolt to make it an LSD. I remove the flyweight and cam add some spacers and shims to tighten up the LSD and wa la, a reliable rear axle. 3 out of our 4 family vehicles have had 10 bolts with gov-locks explode. The advantage of using a Suburban rear axle is the rear brakes are 11 inches instead of 10. I have to slightly modify the shock mounts to make it fit properly.
It's been MONTHS since I drove the Yukon! It kills me to see it sit in the Garage, but wonderful California says I cant drive it until it doesn't suffocate harmless endangered dinosaurs and hippie joshua tree huggers. My 10 bolt has been holding up great since I did the R&P a few years ago. I used GM GL-5 and Limited slip additive and I have to say, I have no complaints about the operation of the diff! I can tell stories of how amazing that thing has worked keeping up with jeeps off road and on snow and ice! I love that truck! I'll probably work on getting it to pass smog now that it is cooling down.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote