View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
martyminnesma

Re: 72 chevy 350 running rough under load!

I think i might have figured it out today, or at least a big part of it.

basically it comes down to timing and vacuum advance. I'm running mechanical timing of 10 degrees initial with a 36 over all, so 26 mechanical degrees. and maybe as much as 20 degrees of vacuum (which i know is a little high). so at idle the advance is sitting close to a comfortable 30, and then when i rev it up it nicely climbs to 36 or so as the vacuum advance drops away and the mechanical takes over. at cruise its slightly over 40 i think. I know I'm off on some of my numbers here because i didn't memorize them, so dont be shocked if they sound off.

so basically what is happening here, and i confirmed this with the timing light, is when i tromp on the throttle from a dead stop, the vacuum advance falls completely away. a heavy amount of fuel is now in the cylinders and engine speed hasn't picked up enough yet to bring the advance up. so im basically asking my engine to burn tons of fuel on 10 degrees of advance. so once im up in rpm being heavy on the throttle is fine, as the advance is there to burn it. but from a stop it's just impossible

also, if i'm cruising at a low rpm like 1600-2000rp,, the mechanical advance is low, and if i get too heavy in the throttle, so is the vacuum advance. once again asking the engine to perform on heavy fuel and low advance.

so according to the tuning guy i brought the truck to, I need to get my distributor adjusted. i basically need more initial advance, coupled with less vacuum advance and less mechanical. that way when i'm cruising the total wont get too high, yet when i tromp on it and the vacuum goes away there wont be such a low advance.

this sounds like the most promising solve yet. but it still doesn't explain why the two rear cylinders are getting more fuel than the rest. and it doesn't absolve the valves from a possible sealing problem. that's something i have to look into still. I'll keep you updated.
martyminnesma is offline   Reply With Quote