Thread: Trouble codes
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #86
clinebarger

Re: Trouble codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
CB - Whats the procedure you use for the load test?

Last night I did a compression check on all 8 cylinders just trying to eliminate any possible mechanical problems. All cylinders were 215+ psi. Friday I will do a smoke test to make sure I don't have any vacuum leaks. If that checks well, I'll start digging into the wiring....
Disconnect the ECM & TCM BEFORE performing any test, The last thing you want is to fry/brick a module. Unplug the ECM & Unplug the trans.

Load testing is very straight forward. I use a headlamp because you can SEE if the ground is poor, If the lamp is bright, the ground is good. If the lamp is yellow/brown or doesn't come on....the ground is poor.
Test it straight to the battery first to get a feel on how bright & color the light is.

The diagram should help, Hook one side of the Lamp to the positive side of the battery.
With a suitable probe & lead hooked to the other side of the Lamp......Probe the ground circuit your testing, This will load that circuit.

What I mean by "Suitable Probe" is Don't stretch out the terminal in the connector your probing. Or damage the plastic connector.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote