View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #446
chevyrestoguy

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
"Look factory?" Um, they didn't look that good from the factory. Nice stuff! I have the 3-gun kit from HF. I love it 'cause the big one comes with a 1.8 tip. Great for primer. Good progress! I would say, If you have a plater near you, having all those bolts cad plated works a lot better than painting. I tried to do that, the plater's burned down, so I had to paint mine. I'd have been a lot happier with plating. Not trying to be a jerk, you've just got the rest of this so cool and all. Those inners would look good with Raptor liner on the undersides, too. Man, I'm stoked for ya!
Thanks, Chip! Yeah, I was really shocked at how well the cheapie HF gun worked. I wouldn't use one if I were spraying a car, but for small parts, it kicked butt. I thought about coating the bolts with the phosphate coating that the factory starting using in the late '60s, but the home kits they used to sell are no longer available. You would actually cook your bolts in a phosphate solution on a Coleman camp stove. I'm sure NOTHING could go wrong with that set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Congrats on nailing the color.

Not sure if this tid bit of info helps on "paint on bolts" but it worked for me.
I cooked my freshly painted bolts for 20 min @ 175 in a convection oven I got at a garage sale.
None of the paint lifted after I wrenched'em in.
Wifey was happy I wasn't in the house trying to poison the family with my cookin.

Gonna be awesome to see things getting put together.
I like the convection oven idea, and I'm brainstorming on an idea using a metal box and a hair dryer. The last time I used one of the home appliances for my car stuff was when my wife was out of town, and I used the dishwasher to clean a set of rods and pistons. They were super clean before I put them in, and they came out awesome. The only problem was, I had to pull all of the baskets out of the dishwasher and scrub the inside with Comet to get the grease film off. And, I had to run two full cycles on hot with nothing in it to get the solvent smell out. Worked really good, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Ahhhh some updates. So kool man. I'm still digging the ride.......Can't wait for more.
Rusty, you've always been one of my biggest supporters, and I really appreciate it. Glad to help you with your picture fix!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Those inner fenders look killer, can't tell that they've been cut and welded! Love stuff like that, nobody will notice but that's the whole point.
If John likes 'em, then I'm a happy guy! They actually look even better in person. My camera is on it's last leg, and it's taking bad quality pictures. I completely agree with your stance on "stealthy" modifications. I love that stuff, too, and if only one guy in a hundred figures it out, then I've done my job correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
+1 Nice work!
Thanks!!!

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote