View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #1291
67chevy1series

Re: 1967 Chevy CST aka "the loud truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
www.ringpinion.com

ok.... going back and trying to sort this out..

first, there is a passenger car 12 bolt and a truck 12 bolt axle. If your posi came from a truck 4.11 then it should fit your 3.73 gears. The carrier break is 3.42/3.73. If it came from a car, sell it and put your non posi back in.

2nd, I don't see anything about contact pattern in anything you posted so far, so...

Assuming you have a truck posi, Here is my advice..

Remove your ring gear from your carrier. This will prevent contact interference between ring and pinion while establishing carrier pre-load.

Set your carrier up with enough shims so that you have 0 end play. For the garage install, your carrier should go in "snug" since you aren't using a spreader, but should turn freely once installed and caps torqued.

Once you have your total shim pack thickness established for 0 end play, you can remove the carrier and re-install the ring gear.

Now, I recommend recording your total shim thickness for reference. You can now establish your CONTACT PATTERN. judging from what you are saying, I would start with all the shims on the passenger side of the carrier. If you have questions about which way to move the ring gear, I can get into that if you need.

In reference to you talking about the axle shafts moving right or left, you could shim your carrier all the way to one side and it wont move your axle shafts any significant amount. you do need to ensure that the spline count is right between your shaft and the side gears.

One more thing that I highly advise is inspect or replace your axle bearings, and replace the axle seals no matter what.

Another thing you can do while you are into your axle is check pinion pre-load. You don't want to allow a failure to ruin all your hard work!
the posi was pulled out of a 67 suburban so according to what you said it should work. when i put the posi in my axle shafts were able to go in and at one point i did have it in and fully working the problem was that i had no shims on the left side and a bunch of shims to the right, now i know you said it wont move my axle shafts in the axle but i have to disagree because when i set it all up and put the shafts in with the pin thought the carrier my driver axle shaft was approx. 1'' out and on the passenger side it moved it in approx. 1'' and it was a sombi*** to put the c clip on the passenger when i went top mount me rear caliper brackets i had to install 6 washers just to bring the bracket inward so my caliper would align with my rotor on the axle shaft... now i didn't install it wrong so i don't see any error in what i did except installing all the shims to one side, but that was the only way i could move the posi freely and everything still be hooked up. as you can see in the picture my carriers are different and the "offset" (for lack of a better term) is off a pretty good amount. i completely understand what you are saying and im not trying to aggravate or confuse you but for some reason what you are telling me is correct and i did the correct work but even after all that the posi just doesn't want to cooperate lol
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote