Re: 63-72 Calif Comm Black Plate sequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Okay, okay!!!!

... I have access to a set of black plates with this config:

ABC 123

What will I have to do to use them?
Greetings magwakeenercew2jh,

Man why does that sequence make me think of Michael and the Jackson 5?

Not to sure what you want to use them on so I'll presume it is your beautiful truck.

ABC 123 is a correct 56-62 (yellow/black series) and a 63-69 (black/yellow series) passenger vehicle plate sequence. Presuming you have a set of 63-69 black plates you'll then need to buy a 1963-1969 passenger vehicle for them or install a permanently mounted (bolted down) camper on the truck and/or never carry anything in the truck except people to use them. Carry anything but people in a truck with passenger plates and it's a BIG fine if you get caught. You might get away with a passenger plate on a truck without a load but this is my first truck so I've not researched what the California Vehicle Code (CVC) sections actually state yet.

Most likely DMV won't allow passenger plates to be placed on a previously commercially registered because then they loose their weight fees. I need to know this information so I'll check the registration CVC's a little later but I really don't think passenger plates are allowed on commercial vehicles & P/U trucks.

I currently have the original blue passenger plates (858 DXJ) on my '71 cab chassis but it was originally registered as a housecar. I believe once I put any kind of a bed on it or strip the Motorhome floor and front wall from it (their still bolted to the cab and frame) I'll have to get commercial plates before I can legally operate it or haul anything. It all depends on what the CVC says.

Another option would be to sell or trade the passenger set for a clear set of commercial plates. Just check with DMV first to make sure your passenger plates are clear so you know what you have to sell or trade. Won't hurt to check that the replacement plates are clear first also so you'll know exactly what your getting before you commit to any transaction.

By the way the actual CVC book is great to have. I've beaten a few tickets from peace officers that use the cliff note version to issue citations. I shocked a judge and prosecutor (and perhaps embarrassed them a little in front of their packed courtroom) when I made a motion for dismissal and showed them the law stating I couldn't be cited for the offense because I was a pedestrian. The look on their face was... well... priceless, and my case was quickly dismissed.

Played the game their way and won, they couldn't get me out of their courtroom fast enough! A win for the little guy was a good day for me.

You can get the CVC at the DMV real cheap and they make great reading. I get one every year.

Cheers.

My current and original passenger plate on my '71 class c motorhome.
1972 Ford Ranchero GT 351C-2V C6
1974 Honda XL-350
Member of the "6 C's and a D" 1-Ton Fun Club!
71Dually is offline   Reply With Quote