View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #87
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Ultra Family and Hauler Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Was the pitman arm used in the process of removing the seals or did you just kick it around on the floor for good measure? I have never used the fancy seal drivers to install inner axle seals. If I have to use a hammer, I use a long piece of tube, even used a metal broom handle against a seal driver. I have had good luck removing them with a prybar. I never liked how low stock 4x4 excursions sat... now I know why. I also thought Dana used crush sleeves for 35s and smaller... but aren't the 4.30s really a Ford specific application? Gotta make mommas truck drive nice, so I'm glad to see its getting all the maintenance detail you are putting into it! Keep it up!
No, the pitman arm was just laying there in my mess of stuff. Too bad you pointed this out today as I just made a scrap run and I would have scrapped that dumb thing. On the inner axle seals, you have to have a super long pry bar to get the RH seal out without damaging the plastic seal saver. I had a bar long enough, but not with a severe enough bend in it to knock the seal out. I'm guessing you're right that 4.30's are Ford specific. Another great idea on their part. With any luck, when this rolls out of the shop the final time, I shouldn't have to do anything to it for a while besides upgrades. (It needs a cowl hood and some DVD players for the kids)
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote