View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #94
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Ultra Family and Hauler Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Relay timer? You got details on this. Right now I have my grid heaters on a switch, but a timer setup would be nice.

While we're on this topic, is the temp sensor in the intake a switch or sensor and the ECM normally cycles the heaters?
With the timer relay you won't need the intake temp sensor. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
the ecm cycles them. depending on what the IAT says it will cycle them more or less during warm up. i think. im sure it helps but i think once its running there really isnt a point to continue cycling them. once ryan figures this timer thing out im going to pirate his idea as well.
Yes, Ryan is correct. The ECM or PCM in a 12v's case, controls the grid heaters. It will cycle them when the intake air temp is below a certain parameter until the parameter is met. Once that temp is met the ECM cuts out operation to the grid heater solenoids until the next key cycle.

I was helping another member with questions on his 05 12v conversion and we got talking about grid heater controls. I told him I was looking for an inexpensive way to put a timer switch on them without spending big money for a glow plug controller from an older diesel truck. Well, he found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=141128573998

I purchased 2 and haven't put one on yet. He has had his installed for about 3-4 weeks and it works great. It is wired goofy as it applies grounds instead of power, but it will work. It is an adjustable relay as well.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote