View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #59
MattPSU

Re: Crocodile Rocks Build Thread

If you're going to use the Porterbuilt 2 piece notch, make sure you have at least one good drill, lots of quality drill bits, step drill bits, grinder with cut off wheel, and a sawzall.

There were 14 rivets that needed to be drilled and there are 15 bolts that hold the notch in place. Some of those bolts go through rivet holes, but most need to be drilled in the frame.

There are also 2 bolt holed that need drilled to hold each bad and one giant hole for the air fitting on each bag. Those holes needed to be drilled through the lower part of the notch, the spring plate and the bottom of the frame. I did most of those laying on my back on the cold garage floor.

I drilled out the rivets for the top part of the notch, then used those holes to mark the other holes and the location for the cuts in the frame. I then cut the frame with a cut off wheel.

With the section of frame removed, I could mock up the lower part of the notch using some bug c-clamps. Marked the rest of the holes then went crazy drilling. Lots of on and off and test fitting everything. When I had it all where I wanted it, I cleaned everything and painted the frame and notch.

Once the paint dried, I bolted it all back together.

Pic 1 - Upper notch in place
Pic 2 - Frame marked for cutting
Pic 3 - Everything painted and installed
Pic 4 - Pic from below showing bolts on the bottom of frame. Didn't catch it until after I took the picture, but you can see my Porterbuilt sticker in the back window!
Pic 5 - Shot of the inside of the notch.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote