View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #55
cal30_sniper

Re: 79' C30 Camper Special build thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorism View Post
Yeah I have the nv4500 in my scope its just a matter of finding one for the right price. I'm curious to see what you are getting mileage as well.
I did a complete write-up on my swap (including parts list) here if you're interested:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610659

I also did a writeup on the electronic speedometer unit that I built to get around not having a mechanical speedo output. This allows you to use the usually cheaper and easier to find GM NV4500. There's a writeup and parts list linked inside the thread above. I highly recommend the swap, its a blast to drive and really brings out the best qualities of the 454.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfiftyfour View Post
Which intake/header combo did you go with?
Doug Thorley Tri-y headers into dual 2.5" aluminized exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and a true H-pipe near the midshaft crossmember. Headers are Summit Part #DTE-303YC. I got them used off eBay for $100 bucks and used your typical High-Temp spray ceramic coating after a good deal of sanding.

Intake is an Edelbrock Performer 2.0. I'm also running a Mr. Gasket quadrajet heat shield and phenolic spacer, along with a wide-band AFR jetted quadrajet, rebuilt HEI distributor, Ram Air Intake kit, and some 8mm Accel plug wires. From the results of my compression test and bore scope, it's got a 9.3:1 compression ratio with some sort of forged pistons in it. Planning on upgrading to 454 Vortec heads at some point down the line to take advantage of the larger port on the Performer intake. I might really bite the bullet and try a set of AFR's new oval port heads, although that's really getting excessive for a truck motor. Getting the whole kit together and tuned is where its at. Thing runs like a scalded monkey and has torque galore. Here's a shot of the engine as of a few months ago before the NV4500 swap and plug wire upgrade:

Feel free to PM me on any questions or build up ideas you might have. I've been tooling on these engines for a long time, and backed up hands on experience with some heavy degree work in combustion science and internal combustion engine design, so I've got a few ideas on how to wake these old engines up while making them as economical as possible.

-cal30sniper
01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote