View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #28
OrrieG

Re: Truck runs ad then shuts off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
I'll be damned the truck accelerate on its own now and if push the Choke back it stops.I did what Orrie told me and like the rest of yall but keeps dying out on me.Somethings wrong with the regulator
"I'll be damned the truck accelerate on its own now and if push the Choke back it stops". So we know it starts and runs. Unintended accelleration can becaused by: 1)manual throttle engaging, check to make sure that the manual throttle knob (has a T on it) is pushed all the way in and is adjusted on the carb so it is not engaging. 2)Choke cam on carb is sticking in the "start" position and not releasing causing fast idle. 3) Idle set too fast. 4) Throttle linkage hanging up and not working freely. 5) Internal carb problem such as throttle shaft or linkage hanging up. Look at the attached diagram and make sure all of the linkages and carb cams etc. are working freely. Pushing the choke in is decreasing the fuel/air ration which will make the engine run slower. Once the engine is started and has ran for half a minute you should be able to push the choke in, you should not be running the engine with the choke engaged.

"Somethings wrong with the regulator". Possibly but it is not related to the engine running. The generator and regulator are part of the charging circuit, independent of the coil, distrubutor and ignition circuits. Only time the regulator is a factor is when it does not allow the generator to recharge the battery and the engine will not crank. An engine will run for a fair amount of time just on battery power, I have had a couple of time where generator bolts loosened up and the battery was not recharging and it took time for it to drain to the point it would not run.

If the engine starts and idles the fuel pump is working and you should see fuel going thru the filter. If you are getting fuel to the carb and it will not start either the screen at the carb inlet in clogged not allowing fuel into the bowl or the accelerator pump is worn out and will not give the carb the shot of gas in need to start. If there is gas in the carb you should be able to see a squirt of gas when looking down the throat. No squirt and its accelerator pump replacement time. Get a carb kit, pull the top off the carb and replace it, looks like a cup shaped piece of composite (used to be leather) on a long shaft. I used to carry a spare because it would go bad about every three years.

If you are getting the squirt and it starts but stumble when you try to accelerate, the accelerator pump is bad. Or it could be timing or the distributor not advancing. Checking that requires a timing light and helper and can be the subject for another post.

Methodically go back and figure out cause and effect, then start checking for things that are causing the problem, keeping in mind that the charging and ignition systems are separate issues.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote