View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
jmack91z28

Re: 1960 C60 Ball Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
I think it sort of all depends on how you use and what you intend on for the vehicle once you get it on the road. I think the vacuum boosted drums work just fine. I have many other projects that have drum brakes, and so long as they are in good working order, the stop the vehicle well enough. To keep things on the simple side, I'd recommend keeping the original brakes unless you get to a point where parts are not available. It would be at that time that I would want to make changes. I mess with these old trucks because I like how they look, feel, smell, and drive. I never really am an advocate of making a 1960 truck drive like a 2014 truck. I have a 2014 truck for that.

I hope that makes sense. In the end, its really up to you and what you want out of the vehicle. If you're going to use in it in traffic and as a daily use type vehicle, then it might be worth the trouble. But if you just want a neat old medium duty truck to use now and again and to preserve a piece of automotive history and don't mind leaving a little following distance between you and the person ahead, stick with the power drums.

Jonathon
Ultimately that seems to be the case that these old trucks handle and stop well enough to not warrant the extra costs and time of swapping the original parts out. Yeah I just wanted one cause they are pretty nice, rare and I'd like to have a small dumptruck for hauling a few loads of firewood a year as opposed to loading and unloading manually out of my Dodge.

I appreciate the conversation, please keep us posted on the work you do with your C60.
2001 Dodge 3500 Dually 24v NV5600 4x4
USMC Reserves
Jason
jmack91z28 is offline   Reply With Quote