Thread: Tire sizes
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Re: Tire sizes

Unless it varies by state I do not believe there is any law preventing you from running a P rated tire on a 3/4 ton truck. But, in the event that there is an accident, that involved a tire failure, you may potentially be more liable in the event.

Keep in mind that when you mount a P rated tire onto any load carrying truck, 1/2, 3/4, etc it is industry standard to reduce the load rating printed on the tire by an additional 10%. So those P rated 245/70R16s with a load rating of 2094lbs are actually only good for 1884lbs.

Still enough to cover a the curb weight of your truck and a light load, but keep in mind there is more to a LT tire than just the additional weight. An LT tire and a P rated tire of equal weight capacity (such as an XL rated P tire), the LT tire still has more/stiffer sidewall plies and generally a harder compound. Under the same load the sidewall of the P rated tire will flex more, producing more heat which breaks down the rubber quicker, a detriment to tread life. For short trips, this isn't a big issue, but for your upcoming 600mi trip, it could seriously affect the tread life of those tires.

Can you put P rated tires on? Notwithstanding Komifornia state laws I am unaware of, yes you can.
Would I? Not likely.

Addressing a few other questions, the tire size has no effect on turning radius one way or another, unless the larger tire rubs and prevents you from turning the wheel as far. On the other hand, shallower backspaced wheels will increase your turning radius. Why are you looking at P rated 245s and LT rated 265s? There are P rated 265s, and LT rated 245s. Listen less to your tire guy, and do a little research on your own. The LT245/75R16 (30.5x9.6x16) will be closer to what you are running currently (29x9.5x16.5s). A LT225/75R16 will be 29x9x16. Do you want to stay close to the same size? Larger? Smaller? As far as brakes, larger diameter, and increased weight of the tire will both decrease the braking ability, so keep that in mind, though with 3/4 ton disc brakes, as long as you don't go crazy, that shouldn't be an issue.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote