Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #209
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Today I welded a couple nuts on the top underside of the rear cross member so it could be bolted from the top, and then thru bolts and nuts on the bottom.

Removed the tank and slid it between the rails, realized real quick i needed way less that 1" of spacer to get the tank high enough. when i mounted the tank on the bottom of the rails the first time i used rubber washers to isolate the tank and eliminate the contact of dissimilar metals, seemed like a good idea at the time so i did it again today.

Went to the hardware store and bought a foot of 1/8" rubber sheet and cut it into strips, first i used some 1/8" X 2" angle iron i had laying around, then 2 strips of rubber then the tank followed by another strip of rubber, then another smaller piece of angle for an upper cap followed by lock nuts. it don't look pretty but this isn't a show truck, if i find the rubber was a bad idea then I'll just have to pull the bed and change it out to something like steel strap. Oh, it looks a little funny because i notched the rear of the tank flange to clear the spring mounts on the underside of the frame, but the tank flange is wider than the rubber strips and angle and there is now plenty of clearance for the hose to not hit the frame..

Then i brought out the new Curt hitch and mounted the two center holes thru the existing holes in the bottom of the frame, still need to drill 4 holes. Looking at it the frame rails sure seem thin, i cant help but wonder if the frame will end up bending under the weight of towing..

Also i did some preliminary barnyard measurements and I'm a little concerned if this hitch will extend out far enough with the bumpers i have so i came to the conclusion i'll probably put the bed back on tomorrow first, then take a good look at the bumper situation, i know I'll ether have to modify my existing bumper or try and mount the other one, or maybe just make a new one?? beginning to like that option.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote