View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #153
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Backyard Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimc View Post
Just throwing this out there, not sure, but what about boot locks were you basically weld a tab on each pipe and bolt some flat bar to each other? I have seen this done on some setups but not sure if it can be done on angled connections.
I've done this before, but it's still a good idea to eliminate any really un needed joints to celebrate possible problem areas. The aluminum tubing he used really looks cool, but when you crank down a t bolt style clamp, it will disform these pipes and when the boot blows it just pushes the pipe right out. I've even had the tabs that were welded on be torn off and the boot still blows off. This was in a 90* situation. My dad's 91 F-350 has the same tubing and boots and is the problem child I'm mainly speaking of. If you don't eliminate some of those boots, at very least keep a 7/16" or 11mm socket and ratchet in the truck because you're going to need it. One of these days I'm going to redo dad's piping but it's hard to tear it apart to do it when it's his DD.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote