View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #33
rkn463

Re: 1971 C50 Swap Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 67 View Post
Richard, I'm going to try to answer all your questions. First of all, there was a body change in 89 with the med duty trucks. Is yours the 73-88 version or the 89 and beyond. 89 was the transition year. If it is the 89 and beyond version I am not familiar with the body mounts. As you can see in post #22, I used the smaller stock radiator of my 71. I figure I would not be hauling much and that it should be cool enough. If it became a cooling problem I would get a bigger one that would fit the space I had. The air brake controller, to my surprise again, it bolted right in with the same 2 bolts that held the M/C. Granted there were a bunch of airlines to deal with.

Hope all this helps, you have good questions.When I started my project I had no one to go to, so I am more than happy to help.

Flat 67
Thanks for the info. Fortunately my 89 is still the old "square" body style like your donor truck so I should be good with the body swap. Now I know that I can do that part I have the confidence to just do it and then deal with the unknowns like the radiator. I'll also have to deal with a too wide front axle. I'm hopeful that the two will have the same size kingpins and steering knuckles allowing me to use the old axle with the new running gear. I'll get a build thread going one of these days.

Thanks for sharing your build with us, I love your project.

-Richard