View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #239
Old Truck Man

Re: "BIG" truck forum C/40, C/50, C/60 and the like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
About any engine will run these trucks. The transmission needs to be tough enough for the weight. And,it's the rear end gearing that determines the hiway speed as well as torque. 1:1 is 1:1,it's what ratios get you there that matter. I'd suggest an engine with good torque characteristics. Finding a "made for trucks" engine would be perfect,like a 366-427 BBC. These have longer stroke than the "made for cars" BBCs. I have heard tales of car 396s going into MD trucks and not lasting long at all. Low gears mean higher revs at hiway speed and getting going takes torque. You want a longer stroke. I imagine for a SBC a 383 would do good. I'd prefer some sort of diesel in a MD.
Transmissions that come in these trucks are best. The Clark 5spd is tried and true. That's 5 gears to 1:1,no overdrive. Overdrive transmissions are usually HD truck items and a whole lot bigger. MD trucks used 2spd rears to help give good low speed power and better hiway speeds,kinda like what a Gear Vendors unit does for lighter vehicles.
There is no difference in the stroke of a car 396 or 427 and a truck 366 or 427. In fact I used a steel 366 crankshaft and a 396 pass block bored it .030 had the crank balanced ant everything worked perfect. The difference is the truck engines have a taller deck. the extra deck requires a longer rod or a piston with a different wrist pin location. the truck engines are lower compression and have different camshafts. The truck engines also has a governor to keep the rpm lower.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote