View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #242
Old Truck Man

Re: "BIG" truck forum C/40, C/50, C/60 and the like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Going a little off subject, I used to drive a '62 GMC 6500 (Similar to a C-80) back in the early and mid '70's. It had a 478 V-6, 5-Speed Trans, 2-Speed Rear, Air Brakes, 10-20 Tires on Spoke Wheels and a GVW of 32,000. They are pretty rare and to this day, I've never seen another one anywhere on the road. The only pictures I have seen are some factory brochure photos.

I've seen plenty of 5000's and saw at least one GMC B-Model 7500 in a junk yard, but never another 6500. Wondering if anyone out there has ever seen or driven one. I've heard there were some out in CA back in the day.

Bill
Back in the late sixties the carnival that that came to the county fair had several of those. I worked at a local gas station. truck stop We always stayed open late on Saturday. the nite the fair closed. the carnival trucks would pull in fill the saddle tanks and buy a gallon of RPM engine oil. I seen those V6 pulling all the carnival rides. the trucks & drivers where pretty rough back then. many didn't have mufflers. for some reason when they shut them off they would backfire and split the mufflers. Unblievable great noise seeing the loaded beast,s take off into the nite and flames coming out the exhaust.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote