View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
skid

Yet Another Newbie

I guess I have been lurking long enough! I have been reading this forum for a few months, and the knowledge and links pertaining to these trucks has been incredibly helpful!

I recently picked up a 72 k5. I have always liked the looks of these trucks, and have been looking for years to find one with the body in decent shape. I finally found one with the exterior body in almost new shape (no rust or dents), and an entirely original drivetrain. It has 99000 miles and doesn't burn any oil, but leaked oil virtually everywhere.

I have owned the truck for three months, and have started to go through everything. All new u joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, axles, rebuilt carb, steering box, brakes, bearings etc.. Since the truck never had a console, I installed a Tuffy security console. I am not entirely happy with the way it looks though. It's too square looking. The old seats have to go also.

After tearing out the old seats and mats, I was dismayed to find the floor rotted out by the rockers. This truck was stored in a granary for years, so it was colonized by mice. I had to take all the insulation and heater system apart to clean it out (the little suckers even chewed the heater fan up!). There is also a tiny bit of rust at the end of the bed at the tail gate. I've got a few repairs to do!

Long term plans include a frame off restoration/customization (which may start sooner if I keep finding more stuff to fix), fuel injected 383 or 406 (love torque) with 700R trans, 4:56 gears and larger tires and rims, a mild lift (2-4 inch)and a new color. Right now it is olive green with a white top. I will post pictures as soon as I get my digital camera (on order from air miles).

Anyways, greetings to all!
skid is offline   Reply With Quote