View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
low&slow
Account Suspended

Re: rear end decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
I'd invest in a posi or spool for your dogleg 12 bolt. Who knows??? It may take it... A 12 bolt is pretty tough
I was thinking that as well just for something now before I start building the motor or even some kind of stock posi ford rear end, but at the same time, I don't want to build a rear end to have it break when I add more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
If you look at the rule book you are getting into the very regulated chassis specs. You are also getting into a very high dollar chassis. The last top sportsman car I put together was a tad over 130K out of the owners pocket and that was a used Don Ness car and a new motor and trans. Just tell you chassis builder what power you have and let him handle the suspension and rear end. Don't be shocked at a 40K bill from him for a roller.
Jimmy
Jimmy, I'm much aware of the price tag to do what I want to do. I'm hoping that maybe a sponsor or 3 can help out with the price. I can't imagine those big cars being built and raced without sponsors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I don't know PG,, will a 1000 pounds of torque put him below a 8.50 chassis cert? It for sure depends on it hooking and the power getting through the chassis, suspension and all the way to the track. As you well know, a lot of things between this 1000 pounds of flywheel torque and the track can keep the combination WAY slower than anyone might expect.

Still a 8.50 cert is going to be deep into his pocket. A roller 8.50 car in the 2500ish pound weight is still beckoning $15k $30k+ just depending on the quality / age of the build. And buying a used build is about 30¢ on the dollar these days.

I honestly feel your $'s are very VERY realistic!! Low&slow,, prepare for sticker shoc in what the rest of the package is going to cost!
\

I get what you are saying as well. I'm not looking to go any faster than 8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Well the under 700 inches and a single or duel turbo making up to 1500 but at least a 1000 is 1300 plus HP. With a 706 making about 1300 hp and a 1000 ft pounds at about 2550 lbs with the driver we went 7.19 at 192 in not so good air. A truck wont go through the air like a grand am but if I had that much power like he wants to build and and could not run 7.80s some one is getting fired. A good chassis design and someone who knows what to do with it will be needed and 25.1 car will be what he has to have.
Jimmy
Jimmy, those are quick times. Since you guys seem to know more about the rules, is it a realistic goal to have and not go any faster than 8's while keeping as much as a stock body as I can without fiberglass?

Also, what's a 25.1 car?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote