View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #521
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

My 4wd shifter had a really short throw, making it difficult to get it in the mode that you wanted. This was due to the GM shifter with the Dodge selector linkage and tab.

Basically I needed to increase the throw of the shifter. I could either shorten the shifter or lengthen the selector tab on the transfer case. I chose the selector tab.

The stock tab is approx. 1-1/2 inches center to center. I thought twice as much travel would work well, so I took a piece of metal and cut it 1-1/2 long and welded it into place:

The travel is just about perfect and its easier to get into the mode I want.

Then I moved onto the steering. There has been a lot of slop in the steering. I've had my wife help move the wheel back and forth several times looking for slop in the steering. All of the joints were tight, I had replaced the gear box (for the same reason). So I posted on the 88-98 section, and someone mentioned the rag joint. Well there was a plastic cover over the rag joint so I couldn't see it. When I moved the plastic cover up, sure enough the rag joint was shot. So I got a new rag joint and put it in. Took it for a test drive and its amazing how much better it drives down the road now!!!!

Next on the list is a sway bar. The crossover steering prevents me from using the stock dodge sway bar, the gm one won't fit, so why not try a ford sway bar? The ford swaybars (99 anyways) bolt to the back of the front axle, point backwards and then have links up to the frame. You can see them pretty easily if you look for them. So I went to the salvage yard and found one. I was hoping I could just mount it up to the axle and frame just like the ford setup. Well that didn't work cause it was hitting something.

So what I came up with is to mount the bar to the crossmember that the control arms attach to and then run it forward and attach it to the control arms. Doing it this way it won't be as effective as having it hook directly to the axle, but I figure it's about my only option and it should be an improvement over no sway bar.

I worked on modifying the straps that will bolt onto the crossmemeber, but I need to get some end links.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote