Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #248
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Looking good on the panel straightening as well as the fuel filler door! You're going to have it where you want it in no time.

When I need to clean up the back of something that's borderline unreachable, I'll take a couple of sanding discs and put them back to back and install them on an air sander. Discs in attached photos may be too large for your application, but can be trimmed to the size needed. Put the discs thru the opening and use the sanding surface that's facing you. As for the seam sealer, I'd just use my fingers.

I doubt you'll have much luck sanding down just the repaint layer. But if you plan a repaint, it needs to come off anyway. No use wasting expensive materials on a quickie prep.
Vic i cant say thanks enough for the sander tip, i do have a sander similar to that, not that my air compressor will keep up with it LOL! But i'll give it a try.

I did find that it was hard to control the shrink, I'd put the tip where i wanted to shrink but a number of times the hot spot was actually at the outer ring electrode, not sure why if both Ring and Tip were touching. But at least i made some headway, far from perfect.

Oh, I do have the 2" filler neck.

EDIT: Vic whats a good gap to maintain before tack welding? 1/16"?? or less? I have the Harbor freight version of the butt weld clamps but thought maybe the gap required by them may be a little too wide?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 03-20-2014 at 03:49 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote