View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #141
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project "It's a Jimmy Thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Thank you!

As for the durability of the paint on the console, i read a lot of reviews and the SEM stuff is apparently the way to go. But, time will tell.

I have a real crappy body hammer and dolly set that i got from Harbor Freight. I wrapped the dolly with a old leather TIG welding glove and used it on the face of the grille. I am not a body guy by any means but i feel that the trick is to not let the dolly bounce when you strike it with the hammer from the back side. I positioned the grille on my welding bench (1" thick plate) face down with the dolly between the grill and the bench and gave it a few well place hits. You can still tell that the dings are there if you get up close but it is way better than it was.

I am looking forward to seeing your build come together!
Well it came out great...both. Yea I'm looking forward to mine coming together too, it looks like things are finally starting to happen now though. I guess I hadn't realised how much blackout accent there is on the '71-72s, mine being a '70 is just a wall of chrome up front, just a little bit of accent around the headlight doors and of coarse I've ditched the eyebrows and gone with a 67-68 hood which gets rid of the grill top crown moulding.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote