View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #566
bj383ss

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Thanks, Jason. Right now, everything is in a mock-up stage and when the fab work is completed, all of the bed and tank parts will all get blown apart and painted. I' was hesitant to post any pictures of what I'm doing right now because even in the fab stage, it looks awful. All of the rust and dirt makes it look like I'm building a Rat Rod (yuk). What's up with you, Jason?

The '73-'87 saddle tank theory is exactly what I'm going to use. The electric switch, the capability of reading tank quantity in both tanks, etc. I figured that I should use a system that is already proven and the parts are readily available at any parts store. I have resisted the notion of "out-tricking" myself by using as many factory off-the-shelf parts as possible. That way, if I'm out on the road and it breaks down, there's a much greater chance of getting it fixed and back on the road. When an ultra-trick part fails, you might as well call the tow truck, because you're dead in the water.

I thought about still utilizing the old manual tank valve as an anti-theft device, by having a battery switch connected to the valve. I decided against it, because it would mean that my cable to the switch (valve) would be super long because the battery is in the stock location. I would prefer to keep the battery cables as short as possible to eliminate current drop.
I don't know if you plan on using one but I have a kill switch from my 6AL MSD hidden under the seat in my Caprice.

Bret