View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #60
MARTINSR

Re: Keeping them stock

I really need to say it again, there is NO DIFFERENCE WHAT SO EVER driving a car with drum brakes in todays traffic. The simple fact is, you leave more room. That is all it takes and you SHOULD be leaving more room anyway being a 2014 Corvette or a 1950 Ford with drums.

I am in the collision repair business. I remember standing around with a few other shop owners in the paint store crying the blues with ABS came out like there wouldn't be any more accidents, our business would be over. LOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOL People WILL FIND A WAY to crash, and how have they, very simple they drive closer. Go down the free way and look at how people will be ONE car length from the car in front of them at 65 mph! ONE CAR LENGTH! I work at a large bodyshop with about a hundred collisions a month being repaired. Rear enders are the most common by FAR. How could this be happening with the modern car and the far superior brakes? It's simple, people have simply adapted to driving to the LIMIT of their brakes. One glance to the girl in the car next to you or to your text message or to your radio dial and WHAM you are rear ending the car in front of you.

I have taken a good deal of time over the last few years studying driving habits and how they effect arrival time, that sort of thing. These studies have opened my eyes more than you can imagine. More than I ever imagined, I am COMPLETELY different when I drive than before these studies. We have such a twisted image of time, it's so distorted it is fascinating. I now watch others driving the way I did and laugh, literally laugh while I am driving as I watch some guy going in and out of lanes to end up 12 seconds ahead of me as he leaves the highway. Or sitting beside him at the every stop light, one after another. I am leaving a bunch of room totally and completely relaxed listening to my music, looking at the beautiful clouds, totally relaxed (even if I am late somewhere) and sit right next to that wrung out poor bugger at the stop light.

LEAVE MORE ROOM, now mind you, I did NOT say to go slower, you pace the other cars, with 10 car lengths in front of you. Just leave more room!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote