View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #65
MARTINSR

Re: Keeping them stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gmcjimmy View Post
Can't say it much better than that! My wife and I love driving the '55 GMC with armstrong steering, manual drum brakes, granny 4 speed, truck ride and all. She can wheel it with the best of 'em. It goes down the highway 65 mph just fine.

For me when I drive the '55 (which I do almost daily) I want to go back to 1955. When I drive my '70 GMC Jimmy (which also has 4 wheel drum brakes) I want to go back to 1971 when I got my first drivers license in it. If I were to modernized these trucks, that time machine effect would be gone. I don't care if they take us to car shows or rod runs. I just want them to take us back in time for awhile!

DAC
We are brothers from different mothers! I will pat the dash on my Rambler (her name is Marge) and thank her for giving me the wonderful blessing of taking me to work and home everyday. Now mind you, I have a chopped and sectioned AD pickup, I drove it for years with a MID ENGINE Buick 401, with the carburetor between the seats. I am not a "prude" restorer I LOVE customs, I LOVE hotrods, but every car or truck doesn't need to be modified. Or heavily modified, it is just simply a myth that you can't drive these cars on the "Modern" roads.

The ONLY mods on my Rambler (I even ride on bias ply white walls) was a buzzer so I wouldn't leave the lights on by mistake being I drive it with them on at all times. That and the reflector upgrades I did to the tail lamps, that was it.......until last week. I put a funky little stereo in it hidden away along with the speakers. And one of the reasons I did was so that I could listen to old music in it, got the Doors in there right now. But the AM radio I have been listening to the last 2.5 years went on the blink for a few weeks and I was missing all my Giants spring training stuff, I HAD to do something!

Anyway, that is it, that's all I have done and I drive it every single day, EVERY single day. I am about to go out and hop in it to go to the store right now.

Click on the photo above or this link to see the video.
http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Bas...F1003.mp4.html

And another video of getting on the freeway.

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Bas...F0804.mp4.html

Just drive-um baby just drive them. If you are REALLY in a position you need to modify it, you are going to pull a trailer or you REALLY need more power or brakes, do it, you have the power to modify it anyway needed to full fill your expectations and needs. But for goodness sakes you don't HAVE to modify it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote